Dentistry in Primary Care Collaborative
Since 2016, Healthcare Improvement Scotland has been running a pilot improvement collaborative across dentistry in primary care settings. This provides a unique opportunity for dental practice teams to take part in a ground-breaking project to test interventions and tools.
Following a national recruitment process we began working with practices in three NHS boards:
- NHS Ayrshire & Arran
- NHS Dumfries & Galloway, and
- NHS Fife
As a result of this work, dental practice teams and their patients are:
- learning about improvement methodology
- piloting the use of tools and interventions to deliver safer, more reliable care
- exploring their safety climate by undertaking a safety climate survey and
- sharing learning within their teams, within their NHS boards and with other NHS boards.
Area of focus 2016 - 2017
High Risk Medicines Care Bundle
To reduce the risk of harm to patients on high risk medicines such as warfarin, the collaborative teams worked to improve the taking of medical histories for patients who are prescribed high risk medicines and or who are diabetic.
Through recording complete and accurate medical histories to improve risk management for patient safety, 95% overall compliance in the care bundle elements of the national SPSP - dentistry high risk medicines (HRM) care bundle will be achieved.
Area of focus 2017-2018
Prevention of Periodontal Disease
In July 2017, our Periodontal Expert Reference Group met to develop an aim, driver diagram, care bundle and guidance to focus on the prevention of periodontal disease.
Our dental collaborative teams are testing the care bundle between September 2017 and March 2018.
By 31 March 2018, 95% of registered adult patients presenting for a routine examination and who have factors that are detrimental to periodontal health, will have a preventative personal care plan communicated to them.
Vocational Dental Practitioners
We are pleased to be working in with colleagues from NHS Education Scotland (NES) to test the High Risk Medicines and the Prevention of Periodontal Disease care bundles with two groups of Vocational Dental Practitioners (VDPs)
During their vocational training year, VDPs and their trainers will take part in the following quality improvement (QI) activities:
- collect data on one of the above care bundles using the excel data collection tool provided.
- complete the six recommended e-learning modules from the QI-zone - available through Turas
- lead the completion of a dental Safety Climate Survey within their practice, and
- submit a reflective QI project based on their experience to NES.
We are pleased to support this work and share relevant documents and resources on this website. However, it should be noted that these resources may still be in development.
For further information or guidance please contact our team on: email@example.com