The 2021 Falls Prevention Diagram and Change Package was co-designed and co-produced with clinical and quality improvement experts from NHS boards. A Falls Expert Reference Group was convened in October 2020 with representation from across NHS Scotland. A benefit of working in a virtual space was the inclusion and contribution from colleagues in remote, rural and island NHS boards.
This change package is a resource to support NHS boards with falls improvement work. The aim of the change package is to provide evidence-based guidance to support the delivery of falls prevention for patients in acute hospital settings. It brings together what is known about best practices and processes based on evidence from literature, research, and the experiences of others
Click here to access the Driver Diagram & Change Package
Click here to access the Measurement Plan
Resources and downloads
- Useful links
- Tools and materials
- Events and presentations
SPSP Acute Adult Webinar Series
Managing Delirium to prevent Falls - 21 April 2021
Dr Lucy McCracken, Clinical Lead for Older People, Healthcare Improvement Scotland, and Consultant Geriatrician and Clinical Director for Older People and Stroke Services, NHS Greater Glasgow and Clyde presented on:
- Discuss best practice for assessment of delirium in the acute hospital setting, and
- Share her experience of managing delirium within a COVID-19 context.
Mhairi MacKinnon, Senior Charge Nurse, NHS Highland, presented on:
- Share her ward experience of reducing falls by implementing an improvement project on prevention of delirium in older adults.
NHS board flash reports
- Falls Spring Webinar
The webinar is scheduled to take place on Wednesday 9 March at 2pm on MS Teams and will explore topics and evidence relating to reducing falls and falls with harm in an acute hospital setting.
Presenters on the day will be:
- Professor Dawn Skelton, Professor of Ageing and Health (ReaCH), Glasgow Caledonian University and
- Erin Walker, Highly Specialised Physiotherapist, DOME Physiotherapy, NHS GGC
The event is currently in the planning stage and more details shall follow shortly.