Working with teams in acute, community and specialist dementia unit settings to improve hospital care for people with dementia
The COVID-19 pandemic impacted on the ability of hospital teams to deliver person-centred care for people with dementia. Contact with carers and families is an important way for staff to understand what matters to people with dementia and this was significantly limited by the visiting restrictions in place.
Dementia in hospitals supports 17 hospital teams from acute, community and specialist dementia unit settings to improve processes for person-centred care planning to support the prevention and management of stress and distress.
The programme aims to deliver improvements such as:
- people with dementia who use hospital services have a positive experience of those services through a person-centred approach to their care and support
- people with dementia and their carers are more involved in their care through improved person-centred approaches, and
- people who work in hospital services feel engaged with the work they do and are supported to continuously improve the care they provide.
Support for hospital teams
We work in partnership with the Alzheimer Scotland Dementia Consultants group through an improvement collaborative that involves:
- bespoke quality improvement coaching support
- quality improvement learning sessions
- supporting teams to test and implement approaches to person-centred care planning
- sharing of learning through networking opportunities
- sharing examples of practice through a learning system, and
- a quality improvement toolkit focused on dementia in hospitals.
18 hospital teams from 12 NHS boards are currently participating in the programme. You can still get involved by:
- connecting with participating services in your area
- visiting our dementia in hospitals toolkit
- following us on Twitter @Focusondementia or use the #Focusonhospitals, or
- signing up for our newsletter by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org
Get in touch
Email us at email@example.com if you have a question about the dementia in hospitals programme or if would like to speak to a member of the team about improving processes for person-centred care planning.