Commissioning for Community Solutions
On the 16th of March 2021 Healthcare Improvement Scotland hosted a national discussion on Wellbeing – The Power in our communities, with leaders from across public, third and independent sector organisations.
Scotland has been on a journey towards empowered citizens and communities with key legislation such as the Community Empowerment Act and Self-directed Support amongst many others. This has been matched with a groundswell of community led activity ‘from the bottom up’ – no more evident than in the incredible response from communities during this COVID-19 pandemic.
The event focused on:
• What we are learning from closer working with communities?
• The conditions leaders need to create for flexible, trust based partnership working.
• What this might mean in a local context?
At the event, we trailed that we would publish the first in a series of new reports. Community-led Models captures the learning from across seven models of community-led initiatives. It describes each model, highlighting strengths & challenges, enablers & barriers. You will read how those involved in the work feel about the impact and, importantly you will see high-level data reflecting this impact. All these models existed before COVID-19 so we have also captured how each coped when the pandemic struck.
Over the coming weeks we will be publishing:
• Before COVID-19 impacted on Scotland in March 2020, the Collaborative Communities team in partnership with Outside the Box worked on ‘Community-based Solutions for Social Care'. This project brought together six, small rural community-based organisations that shared similar aims and challenges in delivering sustainable models of social care support.
• Trust-based Commissioning This builds on learning garnered during the first wave of COVID-19 and learning from community-led responses as part of the ihub’s Health and Social Care Learning System.
• To help recognise the vital role community organisations continue to play in supporting people’s health and wellbeing, over the past 6 months we have partnered with Outside the Box and the People Powered Results team at Nesta. We have been listening to community organisations across Scotland. To understand what it will take to truly value, nurture and grow community organisations’ work going forwards.