Care Experience Improvement Model (CEIM)
What is it?
The Care Experience Improvement Model (CEIM) is a simple framework that supports health and social care teams to make improvements that are directly related to feedback in a person-centred way.
By taking a conversational approach teams can reliably develop, embed and maintain a process and culture to systematically identify and make meaningful improvements.
The Care Experience Improvement Model was developed in 2018 as a result of three years work of prototyping, testing and evaluating an approach that can be adapted to any health or social care setting. What we learned in this early development work is summarised in the Real-time Right time evaluation report.
The Care Experience Improvement Model guides health and social care teams to:
- Take a conversational approach to gathering qualitative care experience feedback from people for whom they provide care and support
- use a discovery approach to these conversations, so that care experience is central to the feedback
- hold at least six conversations monthly, focusing these across a specific care or support journey or pathway
- establish a routine multi-disciplinary (where possible) team reflective improvement meeting that supports a review of the care experience feedback and identification of improvement opportunities, so that acting on feedback becomes the responsibility of everyone rather than only one or two individuals in a team
- develop pragmatic Quality Improvement (QI) skills within the team, using a recognised quality improvement approach in order to effectively focus on and respond to the issues identified through feedback, and to
- identify and try out change ideas, then implement and embed those that make a positive difference.
How it works!
I was particularly struck by hearing the voice of the person, in their words, and their emotion. Then seeing how the improvement ideas just popped out...it was very powerful!" CEIM learning programme participant - NHS Grampian
Tell us about how you have used CEIM to make improvements from feedback
Click on this link to share your experience.