The CEIM Experience Improvement Model is a simple framework that supports health and social care teams to make improvements directly from feedback in a person-centred way.
By taking a conversational and quality improvement approach teams can reliably develop, embed and maintain a process and culture to systematically identify and make meaningful improvements based on the feedback of people who use their services.
CEIM was developed in 2018 as a result of three years work to prototype, test and evaluate an approach that could be adapted to any health or social care setting. What we learned in this early development work is summarised in the Real-time Right time evaluation report.
Find out how CEIM works (animation)
Experience discovery conversations
The experience discovery conversation is a core concept in the CEIM Experience Improvement Model. This approach supports health and social care teams to:
- take a conversational approach to gather qualitative care experience feedback from people for whom they provide care or support
- use a discovery approach to conversations, so that care experience is central to the feedback
- hold at least six conversations monthly, focusing these across specific care or support journey or pathways
Find out more about care experience discovery conversations
Care experience reflective improvement meetings
Care Experience Reflective Improvement Meetings is another core concept in the Care Experience Improvement Model (CEIM). In this approach health and social care teams will:
- establish a routine multi-disciplinary team reflective improvement meeting that supports a review of the care experience feedback and identification of improvement opportunities, so that acting on feedback becomes the responsibility of everyone rather than only one or two individuals in a team
- develop pragmatic Quality Improvement (QI) skills within the team, using a recognised quality improvement approach in order to effectively focus on and respond to the issues identified through feedback, and
- identify and try out change ideas, then implement and embed those that make a positive difference
Find out more about care experience reflective improvement meetings
Explore the tools and resources that can help adopt CEIM