Join the Primary Care Access Programme
We are open to expressions of interest from primary care teams including GP clusters, GP practice, pharmacotherapy and multidisciplinary teams to join the Primary Care Access Programme. Teams will receive support to understand their systems and to help improve an aspect of access over a seven week sprint. Cohort one is currently in progress and expressions of interest for cohort two are now closed. Expressions of interest for cohort three will remain open until Monday 12 December 2022.
This programme of work consists of three separate cohorts:
- Cohort one: 24/10/2022 - 09/12/2022 (expressions of interest now closed)
- Cohort two: 09/01/2023 - 24/02/2023 (expressions of interest now closed)
- Cohort three: 06/03/2023 - 28/04/2023 (open for expressions of interest until 12 December 2022)
For a breakdown of the key dates for cohorts two and three see table below.
Find out more about what is involved in a seven week sprint.
Benefits of joining the programme
Our expert improvement advisors will provide hands-on support to help you improve access through the programme by supporting you to:
- Explore your access challenges, including
- patient demand (clinical and non-clinical)
- team capacity (GP and wider multidisciplinary team)
- team activity (for example, telephone triage).
- Select a specific area to investigate and improve using tried and tested improvement tools.
- Test changes and monitor improvement.
- Share learning within clusters and further afield.
By joining the Primary Care Access Programme, primary care teams will gain access to:
- expert improvement coaching throughout
- collation, synthetisation and presentation of your data in a user-friendly format
- capture of the learning from your testing cycles and promotion of this on our national platforms, and
- arrangement and facilitation of all calls and meetings.
Primary care teams interested in joining a cohort are asked to meet three criteria to ensure they have the conditions for change to successfully receive support to improve an aspect of access. They are:
Criteria one: Be a:
- GP Cluster (if all practices can participate)
- GP Practice team
- multidisciplinary team in primary care, or
- pharmacotherapy team.
Criteria two: Ability to identify a project team. For a practice team this may be a practice manager, senior administrator and, if available, a GP to participate in the sessions and take forward the sprint within the practice.
Criteria three: Availability to participate as required during the seven week sprint. This will include two fixed date mandatory sessions and a further five flexible weekly coaching sessions. For Cohort one dates see table below.
If you are interested in joining the programme but are concerned you may not meet all the criteria, please get in touch by emailing email@example.com to speak to a member of the team.
Cohort three: Participating teams in cohort three would need to ensure they are available to attend the following events and webinars.
Wednesday 8 March at 14.00 - 15.30
|Mobilisation session||90 minute virtual session with full cohort|
w/c 13 March (date by arrangement)
|Identification of priority areas and data collection||45 minute coaching call|
w/c 20 March (date by arrangement)
|Process mapping and change ideas||90 minute virtual or in-person session|
Monday 27 March - Friday 14 April
|Weekly project surgeries x3||3 x 1 hour virtual sessions|
Wednesday 19 April at 15.00 - 16.00
|Lessons learned||1 hour virtual session with full cohort|
Expression of interest process
If you are interested in joining cohort two or three please complete the expression of interest form.
- On Monday 12 December 2022: Expression of interest period for cohort three closes.
- By Monday 19 December 2022: If you have expressed an interest in cohort three we will let you know the outcome.
If your team is joining a cohort you will then complete a Memorandum of Understanding and return a small data collection form.
If you are interested in joining the programme but have any questions with the expression of interest process or timelines, please get in touch by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org to speak to a member of the team.
You can find more information on the Primary Care Access work by visiting the:
- Seven week sprint overview: find out more about the primary care access programme’s seven week sprint. This includes details of the structure, format and expected outcomes.
- Improving Access to General Practice: information on a previous access programme where we worked with GP practices to improve access to primary care. This access programme helped us design the seven week sprint approach.
- GP Access tools: simple and easy to use data collection tools and learning summaries developed in collaboration with general practice teams. We will support teams to use some of these tools during the seven week sprint programme.
If you have any questions relating to the programme or would like to speak to a member of the team, please get in touch by emailing email@example.com.