(including cardiac arrest and sepsis)
The aim of the Deteriorating Patient workstream is to reduce the level of harm and mortality experienced by people using healthcare services. This is achieved by reliable recognition and response to acutely unwell patients. The SPSP team supports this by focusing on:
• early recognition of acute physiological deterioration through the National Early Warning Score (NEWS),
• the implementation of a process for structured response and treatment for sepsis,
• person centred care planning based on an individual’s clinical condition and goals of care, and
• effective communication of people at risk and their treatment plan.
Resources and downloads
- Useful links
- Tools and materials
Do Not Attempt Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation (DNACPR) Measurement Framework
This measurement framework has been developed and tested with the purpose of supporting local improvement by providing guidance for data collection and review.
- Events and presentations
Deteriorating Patient Networking Event - 3 December 2019
The aims of this event were to:
- Support clinicians to share ideas to improve outcomes for people through early recognition, response and escalation
- Provide the opportunity to network, to share progress and discuss opportunities and challenges of deteriorating patient improvement work
- Examine the wider contect for successful change and generate ideas for improvement
The International Forum on Quality and Safety in Healthcare, Glasgow - 27 - 29 March 2019
This is one of the world's largest conferences for healthcare professionals committed to improving patient care and safety. The event provided an opportunity to meet, learn and share knowledge in a common mission to improve the quality and safety of care for patients and communities across the world.
Deteriorating Patient Networking Event - 13 November 2018
This event provided an opportunity for staff from across acute and primary care to share their work and learn from each other to improve outcomes for patients through the early recognition, response and escalation of deterioration across the pathway.
- Generic response to deteriorating patients - 90 day process