Dentistry in Primary Care
The Dentistry Safety Climate Survey (SCS) will be available on Thursday 1st August 2019 for all dental practice teams (dentists, receptionists, nurses and hygienists) to undertake the survey within their dental practice.
What is Dentistry safety climate survey?
From the 1 August 2019, all dental practices in Scotland will be asked to complete the Dentistry Safety Climate Survey.
The Dentistry Safety Climate Survey is a tool that allows teams to measure and better understand the current safety climate within their practice. The results from the survey can be used to start a quality improvement planning conversation with your team. It has been used extensively in other primary care settings to help teams understand their practice and where they can make improvements. The survey has been developed specifically for users in dental practices and will be available online to all practices from 1 August 2019.
The survey will measure:
- Safety systems and learning
How do I complete the survey?
Links to the Dental Scottish Climate Survey website will be available here on 1 August 2019.
All members of your practice or Public Dental Services (PDS) team should be invited to complete the survey. When all staff members have completed the survey, each practice, or PDS site, will download a safety climate survey report from the website.
All answers are anonymised and the individual report will not be seen by anyone else out with your team. Discussing the results of the SCS as team then allows you to begin to make positive changes to improve safety culture and in turn improve the service you deliver.
More information will be available on 1 August 2019, when the survey goes live.
Getting your results
- Individual responses within your team are not available to ensure anonymity. Only the dental practice lead will be able to access the practice-level data.
- A practice or PDS report will be generated after your practice or PDS have completed the SCS.
- A minimum of 75% of staff members have to complete the SCS before the report can be generated.
- If you have a small practice, there needs to be a minimum of three people completing the SCS before you can generate the report.
Survey opens: Thursday 1st August 2019
Survey closes: Monday 2nd March 2020
How should I share the results with my team?
- It is important that the report is shared and a meeting is arranged dedicated to discussing the findings with your whole team.
- Set a date for a meeting when the majority of your team can attend.
- Nominate someone to lead the meeting.
- An action plan should be developed following the discussions.
- The action plan should identify three good points and three actions.
- The completed action plan should be uploaded to NES Portal.
You can find more information in our guidance document which will be available on the 1 August 2019.
If you have any queries, please contact the SPSP Primary Care team: