Paediatric Early Warning Score (PEWS) charts
PEWS charts allow the paediatric community in Scotland to put into practice a national system-wide paediatric early warning system.
Three versions of each chart are available for each age range:
- original version
- version 2 of each chart allows the escalation policy to be customised, and
- version 3 of each chart allows the escalation policy to be customised and excludes the back page.
The charts are designed to be printed as an A3 document.
The charts are available for five age ranges:
- 0-11 months (to be used from birth until day before 1st birthday) - Original, Version 2 and Version 3
- 12-23 months (to be used from 12 months until day before 2nd birthday) - Original, Version 2 and Version 3
- 2-4 years (to be used from 2 years until day before 5th birthday) - Original, Version 2 and Version 3
- 5-11 years (to be used from 5 years until day before 12th birthday) - Original, Version 2 and Version 3
- 12 years and over (to be used from 12 years and above) - Original, Version 2 and Version 3
An accompanying teaching package is also available.
Those outside NHS Scotland may adapt the charts for their use but should honour the Creative Commons licence by acknowledging that the charts are the work of Healthcare Improvement Scotland.
Developing a national PEWS
Recordings of sessions on developing a national PEWS can be viewed here.
PEWS tables are for any clinician to look at normal and abnormal ranges as per national PEWS. To be used as a reference of what may be acceptable range for a set of observations per age.
Please note that PEWS tables are not validated for use in Primary Care.