Healthcare Improvement Scotland worked with NHS boards to embed and spread the Value Management approach across NHS Scotland via the Value Management Collaborative.
Value Management is a method to effectively manage the quality of the care that is delivered.
The collaborative ran from November 2019 to October 2022.
Value Management aims to support teams within the health and care system to continuously improve their services, by providing coaching and using quality improvement skills and data about quality and cost.
The Value Management Collaborative supported six NHS boards to implement and spread a Value Management approach in their identified settings. During the collaborative:
- NHS Forth Valley’s Day Medicine Unit helped patients to receive care closer to home, and also reduced the cost of its provision by £69,720
- NHS Highland's Easter Ross Community Mental Health Team reduced referrals returned to GPs by 15%
- NHS Tayside's catering team improved efficiency in the supply of milk at Ninewells Hospital, resulting in savings of 15% while ensuring that people received enough.
- NHS Boards reported an increase in coach knowledge and skills.
Support for NHS boards
Healthcare Improvement Scotland worked in partnership with NHS Education for Scotland and the Institute for Healthcare Improvement to support NHS boards through a collaborative that involved:
- a capacity and capability programme to support the transfer of knowledge from national partners to NHS boards by facilitating modules and workshops with local improvement coaches and colleagues
- a learning network which provided a structure for initial knowledge building and ongoing peer support and collaboration, including learning sessions and webinars, project surgeries, coaching support calls and site visits, and
- co-design of a Value Management resource pack which provided NHS boards with resources to design and implement a team level method to managing quality within their service/system.
If you are interested in learning more about Value Management, our Value Management Resource Pack can support you in implementing the Value Management method.
Get in touch
Email us at malito:firstname.lastname@example.org if you have a question about the Value Management Collaborative or would like to speak to a member of the team. This mailbox will be monitored until March 2023.